Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Biggest, the best - Guinness book of records?




It's not always you can boast having been privileged to partake in something that could be recorded in the Guinness Book of Records. Well, I have!!!.  Well, sort of... Well, not really, since the record for 'The greatest number of nationalities (76, as in individual people from these countries having taken a Sauna together') was an occasion I wasn't invited to, but at least I've taken a Sauna at the same PLACE weekly (Suomenlinna Naval Academy, Helsinki, Finland) in my past!


This was when I was doing my Officer's course at the Academy in 1975 (during my compulsory national service - I'm a pacifist now...).  Every week we'd descend to the Largest Sauna In The World (I'm not sure if this is Guinness recorded, though), which could take in 180 people I've been told.


The world is abuzz though now!  There'll be a new HUGE NEW SAUNA being built in Haaparanta Finland, as part of a sanatorium being built there.


MY Sauna is five metres high, and 65 square meters in size.  Furthermore, it is heated with traditional wood. Well, there you go: the new place, although being much bigger in size, is heated with electricity, so it doesn't count, does it?


__________________________________________________________________







Helene Schjerfbeck (Finnish, 1862 - 1946)
Shadow on the Wall II (Green Bench), 1928
Oil on canvas
__________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou