Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today's Walk 5 - ABC: Angophora, Bach, Casals

.


Walking through Angophora Reserve, Avalon, NSW

Listening to Bach on my iPod; Sonatas for Harpsichord and Viola da gamba No 1. in G major and No. 2 in D major.

Pablo Casals and Paul Baumgartner performing at the Prades Festival, France, 1 June 1950.









Pablo Casals










Johan Sebastian Bach









Casals and Baumgartner at the Prades Festival, 1950









"So it was that in the spring of 1939 I came to Prades. I could not have 
imagined at the time that I would spend the next seventeen years of my life in 
this little town in the Pyrenees. And in spite of the sorrow in me, I found respite 
in my surroundings. With its winding cobbled strees and whitewashed houses 
with red tiled roofs - and the acacia trees that were then in bloom - Prades 
might have been one of the Catalan villages I had known since childhood. The 
countryside seemed no less familiar to me. The lovely patterns of orchards an 
vineyards, the wild and craggy mountains with ancient Roman fortresses and 
monasteries clinging to their sides - these too were a replica of parts of my 
homeland. Indeed, centuries before, this very region had been part of the 
nation of Catalonia."

- from Joys and Sorrows by Pablo Casals

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou