Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Justin Lambert - Wood Fire Potter from Florida

.




Once again, I'm thrilled to add a few wood fired ceramics pots from Florida's 
master potter Justin Lambert to my modest (in numbers) wood fire pot collection. 
They are a set of four unglazed pasta plates that are totally unique, being 
affected by fire and draft in his anagama kiln over several days, after having 
been skilfully thrown by Justin. The other wood fired pots I have by Justin are 
shown at the end of the plate photos.

Justin Lambert 

"These plates were fired for 3 days in my anagama kiln to Cone 10, 2400 F, left 
bare to interact with the flame and ash. Cooled in reduction to 1600 F.

An interest in objects that serve a specific purpose motivates me to make 
functional pottery.  I am also interested in how pottery can inherently initiate a 
certain situation with a single user and companion.  It is through the grouping of 
particular pots that I am able to suggest a special moment to occur.

It is the interaction of my pots that lead to certain scenarios alluding to the ideas 
of companionship and solitude.  The way that I present my work suggests that 
some pots need a companion and others need to stand-alone.  Some pieces are 
presented in pairs leading to the idea of lifelong relationship, without one of the 
pieces, the piece will not serve it’s intended purpose, and may visually look 
incomplete.  Groupings of bottles or cups are about inviting myself, and the 
viewer to slow down and take notice of the subtle diversities in form and the 
infinite variety of surface texture and color attainable through wood and soda 
firing.

My investigation into high alumina clay bodies in both wood and soda firing leads 
my research.  I reduction cool these kilns to achieve deeper colors, and to 
explore a palette relatively un-explored by our ceramics community.  Frosty, dry, 
movement rich glazed surfaces provide information for future work, and my 
careful analysis of surface to form integration provide insight to new formula’s 
and firing schedules.

My work is influenced by pottery from all cultures, but more specifically Southeast 
Asia, including Oceania, and Africa.  I feel these cultures primary concern when 
making pottery was its’ function.  Form simply followed function and some of the 
most amazing pottery in the world was made.  Their honesty, simplicity, 
necessity, and beauty are the qualities I strive for in my own work."


Justin Lambert began his ceramic career at Florida Atlantic University under the 
instruction of John McCoy. After receiving his BFA in Fine Arts, Ceramics in 1999 
from Florida Atlantic University, he spent a year doing post baccalaureate work at 
San Diego State University with Richard Burkett. In 2000 Justin accepted a 
scholarship and entrance to Indiana University as a Master of Fine Arts candidate 
under the instruction of John Goodheart, Tim Mather, Crystal Boger, and Malcolm 
Mobutu Smith. Upon completing his MFA in 2003, he purchased a property in 
Jupiter Farms, FL where he maintains a home, gallery, and studio equipped with 
an oil drip soda kiln, and an anagama wood burning kiln. His work is shown in 
international personal collections, juried shows, galleries, and art shows. In 2008, 
a 4 page article was published in Ceramics Monthly about Justin’s work, and kiln 
building techniques. In 2011 Justin gave a Lecture entitled “Cooling Down” at the 
NCECA Conference in Tampa, FL.  (Bio from AKAR website: 


























































The rest of my wood fired Lambert pieces: a trivet, an oil bottle and a pair of 
ewers:






















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces...I'm captivated by the oil bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to hold that oil bottle in Justin's studio, it is stunning. You are fortunate to own it.

    ReplyDelete

Books by Ridou Ridou