Saturday, March 3, 2012

Misfit Cups

.












The following youtube TEDxTalks video prompted me to have an intimate look of 
one of the wood fired pots in my collection. It's a cup that I've been slightly 
uncomfortable with, maybe because of its slight nervousness in its colours and 
form. The video is a talk by professor Michael Strand, titled 'The Spaces 
Between: Art, Craft and Humanity'.






The Misfit Cup Liberation Project - Michael Strand

Professor Strand:

"Crazy name, right?  So, I would bet that you have a cup in your cabinet, and it's 
this cup that every time you open the door, and you mix the drink, you pass this 
cup by, right? For a variety of reasons, right? I mean, that cup is, I don't know, a 
snowman? Whoever thought that a plastic cactus martini class was a good idea?


You did one night, right? You did. Well, it's there, and here's the deal: I have a 
heart for that cup, in fact, I've created an orphanage for them, I like them that 
much, I really do. I want to liberate that cup, I want it out, let's get this thing 
out. So I've created this project where you can bring in that cup, and I'm going 
to give you a fresh cup for that cup. Again, let's think about the connection: I 
give you a cup, but you…"

and so on. Please watch the video for professor Strand's explanation about the 
associations in your mind with the old cup whenever you use your fresh one…


Well, here's one of the cups I often neglect (maybe for the lack of subtleness) 
when I 'open the cabinet door'. But instead having somebody to offer me a 
better one for it, which won't happen, I decided to share it with you with benefits: 
which are the enhancements produced in Photoshop:






































































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou