Saturday, November 24, 2012

Work in Progress (Greenware) - Part II

.






Well, I'm still not sure, but, what I'm tossing up with, at the moment, is 
whether the benefits of burnishing this piece (that is, trying to achieve the 
smoothest surface possible) would be of use. I would think that the eventual 
glazing would achieve a kind of natural smoothness anyway, and furthermore, 
if I did glaze it, I might actually enhance the piece by adding an element of 3D 
to it, thus emphasising the shades and shadows below the glaze surface 
(regardless on whether they were intended or not).

Anyway, and by the way, here's a spoiler alert: the design of the work is to do 
with my continuing exploration of the Northern Beaches rock pools, and seeing 
innumerable sea shells in a stage of turning eventually into our glorious beach 
sand, combined with the ever present sea weed strands waving in the current.

Now, the glazing...  I have to decide on the feel and colours of the final piece. 
Currently I'm considering a celadon or chun glaze on this, of light blue/greenish 
tint.

My studio is not quite equipped yet to experiment or fine tune the colour palette 
of the pieces I'm firing, so my options at the moment are slightly restricted.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the progress.




Would I actually paint the thing with strands of kelp climbing up the piece? At 
the moment: I don't think so, - but who knows.












































No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou