Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Old House in Helsinki

.









When I moved to Australia in 1986 this is one thing I left behind: An apartment 
at Pohjoisranta 14 (B 32) that I had purchased a few years earlier.

Pohjoisranta 14 is the building with the green (copper) roof. I took this photo in 
2010 when at Tervasaari island, on the other side of North Harbour. The lady in 
the foreground was washing her rugs (there are several mattolaituris - rug 
jetties - in Helsinki City, where in summer everybody can bring their rugs to 
wash - using harbour  friendly soaps). Two buildings to the left were under 
renovation, thus the coverings over them.




My photo was taken from Tervasaari Island.
.












I dag up the photo after coming across the image below, of a painting in the 
collection of Espoo Museum of Modern Art, called 'North Harbour'. It was 
painted in 1937 by a Finnish artist Anton Lindforss. The copper on the roof of 
'my' house was still blueish:



The artist was painting this at Katajanokka.
.













Google Maps...
.





Google Street View...
.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou