Thursday, November 22, 2012

Has It Really Been Almost Forty Years?

.





... since I started my mathematics studies at Helsinki University, Finland, in 1973!

These are recent images of my base at the time during my six study years 
there - The Porthania building - where I attended mathematics lectures working 
on my graduate and postgraduate degrees. My other sessions were held at 
various other locations in Helsinki at Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry 
lecture halls and labs.

Porthania was designed (including interiors and furnishings) in 1952 by architect 
Aarne Ervi (who had been an assistant to Alvar Aalto), and it was completed in  
1957, sixteen years before I started my studies there.

















"Jussi Tiainen is Finland's most prominent architectural photographer. The 
Washington Post calls Mr. Tiainen "the chronicle par excellence" of the 
architecture of his home city Helsinki. The newspaper describes his contribution 
to the understanding of architecture as follows: "Tiainen's intense perceptivity is 
a lesson in itself - through his eyes, we can sharpen our own responses to 
architecture's complexity and beauty."     jussitiainen.com








































































1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful building! I wouldn't mind spending hours there.

    ReplyDelete

Books by Ridou Ridou