Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Godparenting

.







In Finland there's a tradition of a newborn's godparents giving a silver spoon to 
the their godchild at his/her Christening. Yesterday when we had a group of 
people over for lunch, somebody made a comment about her dessert spoon. 
Andrew had served Donna's tiramisu to two of the guests with spoons with 
inscriptions on them. For some reason I took these particular spoons along with 
me when I left Finland almost exactly 26 years ago. During the discussion it 
suddenly dawned to us that the one dated 24th of August, 1955, was actually not 
of silver, but sterling, but the one given to me a year later was the 'real thing'. 
I'm not sure why I got these spoons so much later after my Christening, and on 
my birthday.  I can only speculate that maybe my godparents couldn't afford a 
silver one initially, and to compensate, gave me yet another one on my following 
birthday. However, I doubt this, since they were highly paid professionals (he was 
a Mikkeli town engineer, and she a headmaster of a nursing college).





































The non-silver one.








































No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou