Friday, January 27, 2012

Dual Citizen - Dual Duties

.





Having a dual citizenship (Australian and Finnish) affected some dual action over 
the last few days: Yesterday was the Australia Day, and I went to Newport Beach 
Australia Day Ceremonies for my never-ending photo-opportunities (see the 
resulting subdued photo set here), and I'm just back from the Finnish Consulate 
in Sydney, where I exercised my right to vote in Finnish elections. It's the second 
round of the Presidential Elections, with two candidates left, since nobody 
received a simple majority of more than 50 % of the votes on the first round. 
The contest now is between the candidates from the Kokoomus Party 
(conservatives) and the Greens Party, Sauli Niinistö and Pekka Haavisto 
respectively. My vote went to Haavisto, the green underdog, who also happens to 
be openly gay. It was remarkable that on the first round more than a third of the 
voters in the capital Helsinki gave their vote to him.












At the pre-polling station, the Finnish Consulate, I was predictably not allowed to 
take photos, but before asking I managed to steal this photo of the voting 
officials' desk, with the current President of Finland Ms. Tarja Halonen in the 
black-and-white photo on the wall in the background. I embedded the images of 
Haavisto and Niinistö to the left and right respectively:














By the way, my other civic duty, the pending jury service here in Sydney, is still 
up in the air. I haven't yet received a reply to my exemption application! And I'm 
now officially enrolled to start my full time ceramics studies at the same time as 
the trial (which is estimated to last 12 weeks) I'm booked for my jury duty starts.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou