Thursday, December 29, 2011

Today's Walk - Today's Birds

.







This, of course, is our common Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita).














This bird (eating a Cricket  of the Gryllidae family) is unknown to me.
Initially I thought it was the Common Koel, but they don't have the crest.
Neither do Australian Cuckoos, so I'm afraid I don't have an identification for it.
















This I believe is a Channel-billed Cuckoo (Scythrops novaehollandiae).
I'm not sure, because these photos of it flying were the only ones I got.
It would be quite rare here; I don't remember seeing it before on my walks.













When preparing for this post I heard the all too familiar sound of a bird
hitting one of our glass doors or windows. This time it was our friendly kookaburra
that had had a plunge in the pool, and then hit our glass door when taking off.
I went to see what had happened, and he was there, on the ground, slightly dazed.
He did recover though, and got back to his wings, and managed to fly off.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou