Saturday, October 15, 2011

Today's Walk - Whale Watching (He Hoped)

.





I went to Long Reef headland today to try my luck about finally getting some good photos of the whales that regularly pass Sydney twice a year. They travel to the north for the Southern hemisphere winter for breeding, and then back to the cooler Antarctic waters full of krill and plankton for the summer: there are thousands of single adults, and mothers with calfs passing us every year. Our ABC news (that is the ABC, Australian Broadcasting Corporation) reported in the morning about people in Sydney's North Harbour-Manly areas taking delight in humpback whales frolicking close to our beaches on their way to the Antarctic.

Some ten years ago, when I was living at Balmoral beach, on one Saturday morning it happened that a huge single whale showed up at the beach attracting thousands of spectators to our area to see the majestic creature visibly taking a lot of pleasure of the calm of the harbour beach on his/her way up or down the cost (I can't remember if it was the south to north or north to south migrating season). It stayed in the area for a week, and to this day I cannot believe I didn't take any photos of it! Often I could see it there, close by, from my window, all 20 meters of so of it, and I just cannot find any proof of it in my photo archives!

Well, this time I wasn't so lucky with the my endeavour: I only managed to see a few whale water spouts, and a glimpse of a whale back or two (the first and last photos in the set). However, I got enthralled by something that is towards the other end in terms of the scale: purple (or little) sails (also called by-the-wind sailors) (Velella velella), blue bottles (Physalia physalis), shells and things:


















Bluebottle











Bluebottle












































Bluebottle


































































Purple Sail (Velella velella)

































Bluebottles

























































































































Bluebottles
















































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou