Saturday, September 24, 2011

Stairway to Helsinki Heaven - I

.




I just found an article in the Finnish language newspaper Helsingin Sanomat 
about the dispute in the city of Helsinki regarding to whether it's OK to build 
elevators in the old artistically/historically significant residential buildings, thus 
potentially compromising the integrity of the original design. It prompted me to 
check if I can find examples on the net of these staircases that might be 
compromised. I got to the site for Architectural Heritage of Finland 
(www.rakennusperinto.fi - it's all in Finnish), which features important historical 
staircases in Helsinki. It is quite awkward to navigate, so I decided to present my 
favourites here in my blog. Most of these are more than 100 years old. This is 
instalment #1:














































































All photos: Arkkitehtitoimisto Schulman Oy, Helsinki City Museum 2010.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou