Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Genealogy II

.





Delving further into my family tree I found Aarni Jäske, a Finnish (outsider) 
artist. After an unsuccessful medical operation he had to give up his day job, 
which freed him to act up on his artistic impulses. He describes his technique on 
his website aarnijaske.net thus:



"Technical realisation: Mig and Tig welding

Material: stainless and acid-proof steel

Surface treatment:

I mainly use quick welding passes. By heating the surface of the steel to different temperatures, 
the whole spectrum of colours appears. In addition, I use a milling cutter to create fine details in 
the surface pattern. I finish each piece with a layer of lacquer. In animal statues, I use glass 
eyes.

During the planning stage, I take the following into consideration:

For animals, its pose, what direction it is looking at, what direction it is going, how it fits in to 
its environment, where it will be located.

In addition, it is important that I know what the person commissioning the work likes. I also 
need information on what milieu it will be placed in; this information can be culled from 
photographs, etc. Designing whether or not it will have a pedestal, what material it will be made 
out of, e.g., stone or steel and does it form a whole.

I learn about anatomy and check dimensions as achieving the right result requires that some 
parts be emphasised or de-emphasised. I take photos for my work from different directions and 
I sketch out dimensions that correspond to the size of the work in progress.

The frame must be quite accurately made and is an important stage in achieving the best result 
possible. I sketch, cut and shape every steel part one at a time. I can use anywhere from a 
couple hundred pieces to tens of thousands in a single work. Each one of my works of art is 
unique."





All the images below I copied from his website aarnijaske.net, and modified to 
create a nice set to show his work:










































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou