Saturday, February 9, 2013

My Fellow Emigrants

.









I came across this photo in 'Helsingin Sanomat' newspaper of a (pretty large) 
Finnish family emigrating to Australia in 1973.

The paper mentioned that currently there are 7,006 Finns in Australia eligible to 
vote in Finnish elections (those with official Finnish Citizenship, of which I'm one 
having regained it when Finland accepted dual citizenships about five years 
ago). The corresponding number of voting Finns in Canada is 11,848 and in the 
United States 17,128. (I migrated to Australia in 1986)



Here's a photo I took when about to vote at the Finnish Consulate last time - in 
this case for a new president of Finland. After snapping this image through the 
consulate entrance glass doors, when it was my turn to register for the vote, I 
asked if I can take some photos of the process - I almost always carry at least 
one camera on me - and the answer was 'sorry, no, not allowed'. Well, I did 
have this shot with me anyway (I photoshopped the candidates into the image):






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou