Friday, December 23, 2011

Shawn O'Connor Article in Ceramics Technical

.






Shawn O'Connor







"I’m excited to have my second publication featured in the newest issue of Ceramics Technical 
No. 33 pg 87 – 91. It documents some  experimentation I have done in the wood kiln around the 
ability to control flame pattern and mark making on the surface of work." Shawn O'Connor






An excerpt from the article ("In search of my mark"):


"The most defining aspect of wood firing with an unglazed surface is the ability to create flame 
patterns on the surface of the work.  Controlling the path of the flame by tumble stacking work to 
create interesting spaces between pieces for the flame to pass through. This method dictates what 
flame pattern is left on the surface of the work. Since this technique has become popular and has 
been around for centuries, the work tends to look the same. The aesthetic of this technique has 
not changed much or progressed in the last thousand years. During my investigation of the wood 
kiln I tried to think about how I can change this standardized look and think about the wood kiln in 
a new way. One of my first thoughts was to think about what other ways I could control the path 
of the flame in the kiln.

I created what I call “Flame Deflectors”. These deflectors, or wall of clay with holes, lines, and 
shapes cut into them, allow the flame to move through and only touch selected areas of the work’s 
surface. I made these deflectors by throwing bottomless cylinders, cutting them in half, and 
cutting into the wall of them in various manners. The deflectors would be loaded in the kiln facing 
the firebox with work set inside the half circle. I place the work as close to the interior wall as 
possible, hoping that the flame would only mark the surface exposed by the openings in the 
deflectors."




Shawn O'Connor, Ceramic Wood Fired Jug







Shawn O'Connor, Ceramic Wood Fired Plate











And here's one of Shawn's beautiful pieces in my own collection.
I understand it was fired traditionally.






Shawn O'Connor, Ceramic Wood Fired 'Medicine' Jar























No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou