Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pottery #26 - Mental State of Mind Representation

.




Discourse with the artist:


"As for the brain vessel - no, I've never been in a straight jacket;) I've been in a mental hospital for depression and suicidal 
tendencies, but straps and jackets are rarely used anymore. I used the image because when I initially sought out help for 
my depression (which later was diagnosed as bipolar disorder), my mother flipped out and told me they'd lock me away in a 
straight jacket and shoot me up with drugs if I went to a psychiatrist, and really, honey, there's nothing wrong with you, and 
what will become of your job if you get committed? It took a major fight with my Mom to get myself into a hospital to get help; 
several, in fact. I was emotionally drained and exhausted, and I knew going on without some sort of professional help was 
going to end in my death, no question. This was almost 10 years ago now, but it's a part of my life that really stays with me, 
because it's the darkest period of my life so far, and my circumstances have drastically changed since then (thankfully, for 
the better in almost every respect). However, I'm still a little bitter about the stigma attached to mental illness, and that 
people (including my own family) still think of mental help in terms of insane asylums, shock therapy, and canvas straps. So 
the image is a self-portrait of me as a walking cliche:D I guess the effect is lost without the story behind it, however. "


























__________________________________________________________________





Lawrence Finn
The Man Of Sorrows
The Broken Man
The Man Who Could Not Face The Day
The Warrior
The Grieving Boy
1992
Linocuts, A/P
23 x 17 cm each
Esa Jaske Collection


__________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment

Books by Ridou Ridou